4.04.2012

Bad Beet Grit

Help. I can't seem to clean my beets properly. The juice was delicious, but the grit was disgusting. I still managed to drink the whole pitcher - I just pretended I was camping. The flavor was wonderful, truly.


Beet Juice
2 Large Beets (greens, stems, roots, everything)
7 Carrots
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Inch of Fresh Ginger

Any suggestions on how to clean the beets? I noticed that even the leaves are littered with dirt. The beets really add a wonderful flavor to the juice, and beets are known to increase the body's production of glutathione levels which help fight cancer, especially tumors, so I can't just omit the red buggers. Somehow, the body uses glutathione as a master detoxifier, and the body uses it in the cleansing of each and every cell in the body. Research shows that cancer patients are massively deficient in glutathione. There are supplements to help boost your body's levels, but the problem is that glutathione is synthasized in the body by combining three specific amino acids. Therefore, supplements don't really work. You need to use food as your supplements to truly be effective. I think that's why all of the medicine, and supplements, in the world don't seem to make you healthy if you have a poor diet. It's fine to eat bad food every once in a while, but we need to nourish our bodies daily so that we have the building blocks to fight cancers, disease, fatigue, etc. 

So.....although the beet juice was a success (minus the grit), last night's dinner drink was pretty rough. I followed a recipe called, "Immune Builder." I've been nervous about Dan since he's been doing night work. He leaves for work at about 10:15 pm, arriving home in the morning at 8:00 am. They're doing taxing work, ripping out old escalators at the airport. He loves his job, but I worry about the irregular hours, and his exhaustion. As we speak (...or as I write...), Danny is curled up in bed with the curtains drawn. He'll remain there until late afternoon or hopefully into early evening. I have my little MP3 player on, quietly blogging, and running laundry in the basement. Anyway, I digress, my point is that I thought I'd find a good juice to boost our immune systems. Obviously, I'm always in need of some extra help, and although Dan seems to conquer any bug that swims into his airstream, I figured it couldn't hurt. 

Immune Builder (you'd better like garlic - Larry, this one's for you!) - serves 2
8 Carrots
4 Garlic Cloves
4 Stalks of Celery 
1 English Cucumber
1 Granny Smith Apple


The immune builder is definitely a breath buster, but least we were stinky together. In the future, I think I'll keep the garlic in our foods, not in the beverages. It's too confusing. I wanted to chew it. If anyone has any specific juicing suggestions, I'd love to try them out!

4 comments:

  1. Even commercial beet juice has a gritty - omg I just drank the litter box feel to it. I believe it is part of the vegetable itself. Baby beets, perhaps because they are younger, have less of the 'grit' to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try a peeler like you would use for carrots or potato's? It might work just to get that top layer off? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying blanching them to take the top layer off. You could also strain your juice through cheesecloth before drinking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess - maybe consider soaking the beets in a sink of cold water. Put them in the water, swish around, then let them sit for about an hour. The grit may settle out to the bottom of the sink. I admit, never tried this with beets, but the method works wonders with spinach and leeks!

    Good luck!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top