Friday, April 27, 2012

Musical Awakening

A friend posted a comment on the blog with a link to this amazing video. It completely made my day. It's incredibly moving, and a wonderful treat that I can share with my friends who work in the memory center with me at the retirement home. Thank you for sharing this. It's adorable. Enjoy!


"Music imprints itself on the brain deeper than any other human experience," says renowned neurologist Oliver Sacks, who appears in the film. Pairing music with everyday tasks such as having a brief chat or taking medicine can help patients develop a rhythm they can use later to recall the memory of that conversation or medicine. But it's not just patterns and rhythms — music also taps into the brain's emotional centers. "Music evokes emotion, and emotion can bring with it memory... it brings back the feeling of life when nothing else can," says Sacks.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jess I just love this! Can you please email it to me (pat.mc@hotmail.com) or send it to my Facebook (Patti Dowers McMullin) so that I can send it to my friend Nancy in Arizona. She teaches music to autistic children, who normally barely speak, and they called me twice this week to sing a song for me. After the song they all talked to me on speaker phone, these sweet children who are normally non-verbal, and we blew kisses and shared hugs over the phone- so touching! Music changes lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found it on You Tube- thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, wow, wow, WOW! Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is beautiful and powerful. We are blessed to have music.

    Dr. Sacks is a very interesting person with a great wealth of knowledge into the brain. He has many interesting books and there are a some popular movies based on his research (ex: Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro). I loved his books: ‘Musicophilia’ and ‘The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat’.

    Check out the stories about him on NPR and his website: http://www.oliversacks.com/


    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top