Monday, February 27, 2012

Misery Loves Company

Beautiful blooming tree in front of the Green Lake library

It's gorgeous in Green Lake today. It's sunny and the air is crisp. I just jogged the lake with Emma, stopping by the library to pick up a book that I had on hold.

Things have been great, just chugging right along with the protocol. I've made some changes and decided to allow antioxidants to my Monday-Wednesday routine. Those are the high dose days of artemether, and I'm supposed to limit my antioxidant intake because antioxidants clean up free radicals in your body. The free radicals are what are needed for the artemether to arrive into the cancer cells. Anyway, it's a long story and I don't completely understand it, but what I do understand is that my body needs an apple or a hot tea here or there - and some raw garlic.

I'm hoping that allowing my body to have antioxidants on the high dose artemether days won't hurt the progress. Guess we'll just have to find out in April at the MRI. I just can't live off of bland, boring, nutrient sparse foods. I crave tea more than I crave wine. Is that crazy or what?!? It's true though. Never thought I'd say it.

Other changes in my life include the removal of my copper IUD. I had no idea that copper causes angiogenisis (the development of new blood vessels), which is "a fundamental step in the transition of tumors from a dormant state to a malignant one," according to Wikipedia. Ooops. Thank you to my brain tumor friend Jessica for pointing that one out. Jeez. Seriously, I am so glad that I post so much personal information on this blog because ya'll keep helping me get healthier and healthier.

There are so many things out there to know, and things that can combat (or encourage) cancer. It's impossible to have all of the information, and that's why I love you all so much. I appreciate all of the help!

In about an hour my girlfriend Jess, who is currently living in Abu Dhabi with her husband Andre (awesome guy), will be arriving for a week. For those who don't know her, she's the friend who flew across the world to be with me when I was diagnosed and shaved her head in solidarity. I'm so excited to see her!! I also can't wait for Thursday when I take my chemo drink. She's one of those girls that will totally try it - I can't wait to see her gag and then laugh hysterically. Friends like her are priceless. I don't know why, exactly, I'm so excited to disgust her with my chemo drink. It's probably because misery loves company? Or, maybe it's that I'm a sucker for a good laugh. Regardless, I'm excited.

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear that your dear friend Jess is coming to see you! I started reading your blog during your surgeries and I think that Jess was doing the posting when you were first recuperating. What a blessing to have a dear friend like that! You two have a great time together and tell her that "So Cal" Patti is still cheering you on after all of this time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse, with all the great photos you post (had no idea how grand the Green Lake Library is) perhaps you can capture one as Dhabi Jess takes her first gulp of your potent chemo drink! It could be fun to see her expression, and I was going to say the aftermath, but after seeing one of your aftermath's, I don't tink so Lucy! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top