Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Miracle Melatonin

Hello friends! Yesterday I was so exhausted that after my volunteer time at the retirement home, I walked back to the house, stepped into pajamas, and fell into bed. I slept for three hours. I've recently started taking 21 milligrams of melatonin at bedtime. Not only does it help your sleep rhythms, it boosts your immune system (among other things, increasing the number of your natural killer cells) and has been shown in clinical trials to extend the survival time for a multitude of cancers (including gliomas). I'm only going to take melatonin on the days that I'm not doing high doses of artemether or sulforaphane, just to be safe, but I feel like it's a great addition to my cancer fighting cocktail (for the record, I took Monday, Tuesday, and today off of high doses, I hadn't been feeling very well so I figured I'd give my body a break). 

Melatonin cleans your body of free radicals which are necessary for my artemether, so I'm pretty sure that it's a bad idea to take it during high dose times. Other pharmaceutical chemotherapies have been shown to work synergistically with melatonin. It's actually pretty amazing. It's too bad that doctors are scared to include melatonin during chemotherapy, it would increase efficacy and extend survival time. There's several research studies proving it. If you're interested, check it out. There are a few studies in the United States, but most have been conducted in Italy. 

Anyway, since I've started taking melatonin, I'm sleeping better, but I've also been pretty exhausted. I take it as a good sign though. I hadn't been getting enough sleep, and the melatonin is forcing me to sleep more. 

On the walk to the retirement home, I saw this amazing creation. I don't even know what to call it. Someone tied a bunch of red carnations into a type of mobile. It's beautiful, and such a fun surprise. What a cool act of kindness! Someone was really in the Valentine's Day spirit. 


The first daffodils I've seen around the lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top