9.13.2010

Kiwi Classic


This last weekend, in Friday Harbor, we attended the Phil Mckee fundraiser, The Kiwi Classic. He's an islander that was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the same time that I was diagnosed with my brain tumor. Throughout his treatment, I have been keeping up on his progress. It looks like he's done with his final chemo dose, and although there could still be some complications, he just might be able to rest for a little bit. I'm starting to feel relieved for him, although I know that things are never cut and dry.

A few months ago I had the chance to visit with Phil in depth. Although our diagnoses are so incredibly different, we still had a great conversation about life, attitude, strength, and of course we swapped hospital stories (both hilarious and tragic). Phil and his fiance Laura are absolutely genuine and incredibly kind. Both Phil and I agreed that we've got the strength to push through the adversity and that we have the support to help us when we need to borrow the strength from others.

I think about the two of them constantly, hoping that Phil's pain is diminishing, and that the hardest part is behind him. I'm grateful that they live in Friday Harbor with such an amazing support group. Islanders are like family.

Walking around the fundraiser, seeing the smiling faces, while friends hugged friends, it was an amazing sight. Yet again, I'm constantly reminded of the love floating around on this Earth. What a wonderful thing to witness. 

1 comment:

  1. The Kiwi Classic was truly amazing. The energy was so positive and loving that it was a blessing for all. If it's true that people pick their destinies before they are born so as to gain special personal growth and to help others in their personal growth too, Phil, and Laura & Tyler, are giving us a tremendous gift, as you are too Jess. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top