Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Three Amigos


Toasting each other for our first Marathon. It's all fun and games at the beginning, little did we know that at the end of it we would be barely able to walk.


The sunrise came about two hours into the walk, which ironically was almost how long it took us to get our adrenaline back down to normal after our first wildlife encounter. We were walking along the trail at a pretty good clip, when we met up with a baby skunk. Not realizing what was before me, I extended my arms headed and toward it, excitedly saying, "Oooh....a baby kitten!!!" Quickly, Danny stopped Emma and me, by quietly telling me to ".......shuush....it's nooooot a kitten....get back....." The marathon almost ended just as we were getting started.


A man and his dog. Emma was a complete trooper. I forgot to account for all of the water/swimming breaks along the loop, but as the marathon continued, I realized that it wasn't about the time of the race, it was just finishing it.

I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo with Jess. She met up with us for a leg of the final loop. If she wouldn't have been able to meet up, there is no way that Danny and I could have finished. We were deliriously exhausted, and at our breaking points. The only thing that continuously came out of our mouths were, "....my feeeeet hurt....." Having Jess to distract us and visit was heaven sent.

Two miles after Jess headed back to her car, I hit a wall and had to lay down in the grass for 2 minutes. Danny kept telling me that it was only three-ish more miles. He put his hand on the small of my back and guided me toward the finish line. I honestly didn't think I was going to make it.  I truly almost started crying because my feet and legs hurt so badly.
  
 

With less than a mile to go I received a text message from Megan, confirming the location of the finish line. When we got to the top of the pedestrian bridge, with the final steps in view, we saw Michelle, Kristin, and Megan. Megan had calculated our journey, and they surprised us with cheers and hollers - just like a real race! They were holding an invisible banner for the winners to cross through. Although we weren't able to jog, but we did do a triumphant two-arms-up-power-fist-victory whoot!


The three amigos. Look at that tired dog, poor little Emma. She gets doggy treats for a week! Same with Danny, I bought him a juicy burger, and milkshake. What an amazing boyfriend to help me on that journey. I can't think of anyone else that would be as crazy, and as wonderful to help me reach my goal. What a team!!!


Unfortunately, Danny fared worse from the race. My feet, although swollen didn't do too badly. Dan's feet were bloody and had multiple blisters. I am the luckiest girl in the world to have a man that would literally pulverize his body to help me succeed. He never quits on me. He's always the first person to say, "Sure, why not!" I couldn't have done this marathon without him. In fact, I never would have even attempted it at this point in my life. He is amazing and I'm incredibly grateful.

All in all we walked the 26.2 miles in a total of 8 hours and 40 minutes. Not the world's fastest time for a marathon, but we did it together, and although painful it was still really fun! Wonderful memories.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is awesome. You guys rock. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL RIGHT, YOU DID IT!!!!! CONGRATS, I can't believe you two really did it. Way to go. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, you two are a great team!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congradulations!!! What a great day, to accomplish a goal you have set for yourself.
    I have been in Rad Tech school and haven't kept up with your blog for quite while. Today was my last day of school till fall quarter. I have just spent quite a bit of time catching up on your writings and oh my goodness, Jess you are soooooo amazing!!!! And Dan you are such a blessing. You two are both brave, loving, positive, truly amazing people. Randy & I loved being at Friday Harbor with you, your freinds and family. We had so much fun & felt honored to be invited. Jess you have made so much progress, keep up the good work and positive thoughts. Love your daily pictures idea, sooo proud of your determination to enter the 2 marathons coming up and that you have started training.
    I would love to be at the finish line to see you complete your 2nd marathon.
    Love and positive thoughts are being sent to you & Dan
    Lisa Z. (Zielinski)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO YOU DID IT!!!!! First of all hats off to you Danny for being there for Jessica every step of the way....You sir, are a keeper!
    Jessica hats off to you for achieving your goal--by the way, a marathon is no small goal!!! You have done something that most of us wouldn't even take the time to do. GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!! So proud of both of you.
    Hugs,
    Leisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wanted to say what a fantastic friend you have that would walk with you and cheer you on. And the friends at the finish line to celebrate your determination and hard work. You are a blessed girl!
    Leisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also wanted to say what a fantastic friend you have that would walk with you and cheer you on. And the friends at the finish line to celebrate your determination and hard work. you are a blessed girl!
    Leisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, you did it! So proud of you guys for doing it together. :) And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica - nice work! You did it!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica and Danny
    You two are awesome. I just have a big smile on my face thinking of the progress, the stories and the journey you share with us all. Keep up the positive energy and THANK YOU for being such and inspiration.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top