8.20.2010

Speech Therapy

The speech therapist appointment went great. As always, the drive was a joy (road trip!) and it's fun to watch the changes between eastern Washington and the coast (often the difference between rain and sun, or green and brown).

I love being at the UW. In fact, I love being around the entire u district. I feel so safe, and protected.

At the appointment, I learned a lot about my cognitive deficits (and we tracked my insane growth...yay!!). It's still hard to reconcile the fact that speech therapy isn't about speaking, it's more like a cake that has speech as the icing and cognitive abilities as the layers.

I love it that I have an advocate that's trained and can help challenge me. I told my parents the other day that I feel like I'm back to 80%. I feel great about my growth and my abilities, but it was nice to have Julie open my eyes and challenge me, and show me how to recognize how I can improve. 

I know that I can function without therapy, but it's similar to the difference between losing weight by doing cardio or doing cardio and adding weights. I feel like my therapy is optional, but it helps me be the best "me" that I can. I'm not going to give up on my option to nurture my mind. Julie helps me figure out how my problem solving skills can be fine tuned, and how I can be more successful in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you, Jess! Ain't it grand to be validated? And to have direction in how you can get to optimum function, rather than settling for "good" or even "very good". Your post is a definite day-brightener for me.

    : )
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top