3.08.2013

Updated Green Smoothie

I am finally perfecting my green drink. It's so good, tasting pretty leafy, but it's like drinking two large salads. THAT's pretty convenient! :) I really recommend purchasing a Vitamix (if you don't already have one). Ok....here we go....

1 peeled banana (as ripe as you like it - the greener the less the sweet)
2 large handfuls of spinach (stuff it down in there)
2 large handfuls of kale (deveined)
2/3 of a pint glass of water

Blend until everything is liquid.


Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (full of protein, omega-3 fats, alpha lipoic acid, fiber and much much more, but for the best absorption into the body it needs to be ground...hence the Vitamix) to the blender (pour into the middle and away from the side and you won't have to scrape the sides as much) and blend everything until you can't see any shells.

 
Pour the mixture into a large glass and add one tablespoon of lemon flavored fish oil to your glass and stir with a spoon. (There is also orange flavored fish oil which is a delicious substitute if you don't prefer lemon.) Now it's ready to drink. Personally, I chug the drink right in front of the sink then immediately wash my glass, the utensils, and the blender. This is not a concoction that should sit in dishes/blenders. When I make the same drink for Dan I add 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt and an extra banana (and I stuff a little extra kale to compensate).

I love juicing veggies, but blended drinks are my favorite because they include all of the fiber which keeps me full for hours. The juicing is delicious but I feel bad wasting so much of the plant. I've fallen in love with a new shot, though, and it's best juiced. You juice a few fresh lemons, a bit of ginger, and once it's been poured into a small glass (like a shot glass or equivalent), tap some cayenne pepper on top. I have started craving my lemon ginger shot like crazy these days. I'm going to need to find bulk organic lemons soon.

Yellow flags of Spring are popping up all over :) Yay!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I do a green drink every morning for breakfast with a slice of toast made of Ezekiel bread (the sprouted stuff) with peanut butter on it. I seem to need more than my green drink in the morning. I hadn't thought of the chia seeds, I will have to try that and see if that holds me over better. Keep up the good work. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of the daffodils! We still have lots of snow on the ground here. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, it's been lovely to find you, your tales from Duderstadt are what drew me here.
    I am hopefully off there from the UK next week.
    Anyway what I wanted tell to you about is Black Seed Oil (or Nigella Seed) I will let you do the research and make your own mind up.
    Thinking of you
    Verity x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top