Tuesday, November 27, 2012

1st Solo Trip

Okay, so I only made it 1 block, then started to panic. I was slogging, and I couldn't feel my right foot, leg, arm or hand and my heart started racing, and I wondered what would happen if I had a seizure (I've been feeling off), would anyone find me? How long would it take? I would end up in an ambulance all alone, in a hospital all alone, and I thought to myself, "Why am I pushing this?"

Last surgery it took 5 months to be able to slog a 10k. I haven't even walked alone yet and here I was on a journey around the lake which would require 45 minutes of running, door to door, at my pre-surgery pace. Sometimes I jump into things too quickly...

Hey everyone, this is Dan and I have commandeered this blog from Jessica. I came home early today to find Jess in a less then desirable state. She was completely exhausted, stressed to the limit, and still trying to finish her blog. Although the parameters will need to be discussed, I feel it is necessary to institute  another technology blackout. Jess feels extremely guilty when she does not respond to texts and emails, or puts off blogging for too long. As with everything in her life she needs to be 100% in (or out in this case). If she is going to answer one email she will answer 100. She loves communicating with friends and family, and appreciates all the support, but sometimes her love for gab gets in the way of her healing. Jessica's recovery is so vastly different from her first surgery that it can trick you into thinking she is farther along then she is. Because she is doing so well physically its hard for me to remember that she is still only roughly five weeks removed from brain surgery. 

As with the cancer in general, you do not see the area that is hurting. There are no bandages or limps to identify the problem, just an attempt at understanding the intricacies of her healing brain. Many times I have misjudged Jess's comfort levels and stamina because her physical and communication skills can take her far past the end of her cognitive stamina.. Unfortunately, I usually do not know I have misjudged her comfort level until it is too late and she is burnt out. Jess is still attempting to get back to the routine of her normal life, and sometimes responding to the number of emails and texts she receives can take up a day in itself. She receives more emails and texts in one day, then i do in a week.

I hope that this will give everyone an understanding of why we are restricting Jessica's technological outlets for a bit. It is not just because I am mean, I promise. I am sure that she will be back at it within half the timeline we agree on, but it will give her some time to relax and catch up on much needed rest. She hopes everyone understands her silence, and thanks you all for your support. 

'till the next technological intervention, Dan.

P.S. I have been writing this for roughly ten minutes and Jess is already asleep.

11 comments:

  1. We love you Dan & Jess!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are here for you!! We will wait patiently for her recovery and look forward to hearing from Jess soon....
    The best of wishes always and God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, Jess is blessed to have you in her life. I know what it's like trying to recover from brain surgery (twice) and it is key to have people in your life who love, support you, and help you heal. Keep pushing forward. I do not think you are mean--you are such a loving husband. From my experience, having a loving husband makes such a difference in the recovery process. You are both in my prayers. --The other brain-tumor Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan - you are absolutely, ABSOLUTELY amazing. No pressure from us ever. We know the drill and are completely supportive of whatever you both need. Always. I think you are spot on Dan.

    Jess - You are amazing, as always. Try and rest/hang in. AND - listen to your husband!!! To quote a little ditty I use all the time "It's takes a strong man to stand by a strong woman!".

    Sending you both love, healing peaceful energy, and prayers for rest.

    Big love from NYC,

    Steph and John xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is in such good hands. You are a good man Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hugging you right now Mr Dan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the greatest of these is LOVE...you have the greatest thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan Jessica
    Take all the time you need and then some. You both are doing great and a technical black out is the right thing to do! Team Jess understands and is always ready to help where we can.

    You are in our prayers for continued recovery.

    Love and hugs,
    Rich and Andre
    P.S Merry Christmas if your black out is for the next month and you are just reading this now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan - you're the best.....
    Jess - sweet & healing dreams -

    You're a good team.

    Cheers & love,
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is lucky to have you, we love you both.
    Pete and Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you both and hoping that Jess is getting some much needed rest! You are the best Dan and certainly have a full time job keeping that spunky little lady in check! HA! Hope that things are going smoothly and that you will keep us updated! Love, "So Cal" Patti

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top