4.13.2020

My 10 yr Cancer Anniversary


Today is my 10 year DD (diagnosis day). I know I'm not very good at sharing my health status, or managing my social media, but there is such a beauty, and safety, when you slow your external life. Not much has changed with my health, I'm still navigating cancer, and jumping through health hoops, trying to follow my intuition, and fighting for what I feel is right for me. There have been plenty of scares, disappointments, bad news, and I have turned down several treatments as I continue on this journey. Currently I'm hoping that an experimental drug will keep my tumor at bay.

I am sorry that I can't be as open as I used to be, but I want you all to know how grateful I am for your kindness, support, and patience over the past 10 years. I remember hoping for 5 years. Then hoping to survive the 4th brain surgery. I truly can not believe that I am sitting here, 10 years after being told that I had a "massive brain tumor" and that the doctor "wasn't sure if I would live."

Especially today, I keep thinking about how grateful I am to be here on Earth, in this human body, able to smell the spring flowers, to see the little sprouts popping up from our vegetable garden. I can't believe that I'm here - that I'm alive. There is so much wonder and mystery in this human experience, and I get to be here to witness and participate. What a monumental joy!

Since these are unusual times, with necessary adjustments to daily life, instead of celebrating with friends and family, I woke up at my usual 6 am, wandered toward the kitchen to start the kettle for our French press, expecting to get a few moments with Dan before he would head out for work, but instead, the house was lit by candles, with handmade cards. It was magical, and romantic, and very unexpected. He had taken the day off, to celebrate our life together. To acknowledge the hard work that I (we) have put in, the sacrifices I (we) have made, the memories that we have created, the life that we get to relish in.

As an immune compromised human, I'm scared of any threat, let alone this pandemic, so I have been in self quarantine since February. I rarely even go for walks because the few times that I've tried, there's inevitably random runners that sweat past me causing great anxiety (valid or not). But, as I was watering our vegetable garden this morning, all of a sudden there were SO many car horns! And as I rounded the corner, I saw a literal parade from my girls in the Edmonds Walking Group (see the video below). Dan barely managed to grab his phone to record part of it. These ladies are angels. I honestly don't know what my life would look like without them. I learn so much from their prospectives. We laugh, they give me a lot to think about, and they're gracious considering I'm opinionated and often naive. They have taken care of our house, and our pets, during brain surgeries. They even mended our garden, mowing the lawn, making everything better. These women treat me as an equal, and help me feel strong and capable even when I feel that I'm not. I love that we take care of each other. And as they paraded by our house, three times in a row, beeping all the way, I laughed gratefully, as my heart continued to mend from all of the hidden pain that I've tried to ignore. 

I don't know why I get to live this fabulous life, but I'm so very grateful!





24 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jess!!! Here is to many more happy years!!! Love, "So Cal" Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get to live this live because you are AMAZING and such a gift to all that know you. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you’ve been on my mind! Such a huge reason to celebrate! Cheers to your beautiful life and all of the wonder, hope, and happiness you have brought to the world and each of your loved ones. I am so grateful for all of your perseverance that has brought us to this amazing day! Happy 10 years dear friend! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jess! I have missed hearing about you, but I am so very thankful that you are celebrating this huge anniversary. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear from you. Congratulations on ten years and may the next ten years be happy ones as well... and the ten years after that, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a sparkling light, a gift that keeps on giving, a joy to all who know you and you are much loved, because you are lovable. xxoo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story popped up in my FB feed. What an awesome inspiring story!! I wish you the beat happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sieht super aus bei euch, hoffe ihr hattet ein ganz tollen Tag und ein schönes Fest.Wäre auch gerne dabei gewesen, genauso gerne wie ich jetzt gerade im Hotel Latsch liegen würde.Wurde ja leider nichts!Na ja das holen wir nach.Liebe Grüße Luis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Jessica & Dan! You're such a wise, introspective, loving person. I'm so sorry for everything you've endured, but glad in an admittedly selfish way that I got to know a little bit about you because of your journey. Please live for many more decades to come!!! Sending you love from CA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I happened to come across your story and I just wanted to share with you that my husband will be a 14 year Gbm survivor in June. Pretty good for a one year prognosis, don't ya think?! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful!!!💗 Congrats and God bless you both!!!💜💜💜 Prayers💙

      Delete
  11. Wow!!! Truly amazing!!! I just saw your documentary on Facebook and cried nearly the entire time I watched it. 💔 Thank you for sharing your love for one another as well as your pain and fears. May God continue to bless you both and give you the strength and healing that you so greatly deserve. Romeo and Juliet has nothing on this love story!💜 Prayers of continued strength, love and happiness from Ohio. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your story on Facebook and just had to find out how you were doing! I was so happy to see your post. Love and health to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow wow wow...Jess...What are journey you are on. The graciouness with which you live and your gorgeous marriage makes my heart sing with such happiness fo ryou..Love from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope today as you read this it finds you stronger and continuing your drive to live. I was so taken by your videos and blog that I just wanted to let you know you have a lot of people cheering you on. Never give up for a minute. You've worked too hard to get this far. Would love to get a current update from you soon. Take care of each other and know you are loved by many. God watch over you Jess.
    XOXO <3 Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless you both. Your video popped up on YouTube. I cried throughout it. I've never seen a love as beautiful as yours Jess and Dan. Wishing you love, happiness and health. Your smiles are infectious.
    Love and prayers ♥️ from New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love and healing energy to you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today is 9/5/2020. I just happened to see your video and was so inspired by your candidness and the beauty of your lives together. I wanted to know how you were doing and found your blog. I am elated to know that despite your struggles, you are still in this complicated but beautiful world. A world that is made even more beautiful because of your existence. What a wonderful man you married. Bless you both as you continue on this journey together. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jess!
    I came across your Last Days video on FB. I cried watching it and prayed for you. I didn't know when the video was taken..but I was hoping you were doing okay. So, I decided to google and see if I could find your story. I came across your blog. Although, I'm so sorry to hear cancer is still a daily struggle and many procedures and medications, etc are your day to day. I'm happy to see you are here.. I hope you and Dan are doing well and that God continues to bless you. He won't ever stop being there for you.
    God Bless,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jess, I just watched your story and instantly felt so much love in my heart for you and Dan! I obviously cried almost the whole time and knew I had to follow you and pray every day for you. Your friends and family are so very lucky to have someone as silly, awesome, precious and real as you in their lives. You are AMAZING. You have an equally amazing love with Dan that is beyond what is seen in day to day life. He’s an example of what a mans love for his wife should be. You guys deserve lots of heart emojis but I have failed to figure out how to plaster them on here so a colon and parentheses is what we’ll settle for! :):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post!!! You have probably seen this but just in case: https://youtu.be/x91vpkXCmH8

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aloha from Hawai'i. I was caught by the title of this blog. I wondered why you spelled tumor as toom-ah? I'm sorry if you mention why somewhere. I just thought I would share a secret of the Hawaiian Kahuna (not Huna, real Kahuna-Healers). We purposefully misspell disease to take away its power. Like cancer would be cancah. So, I was caught by and like how you take away the power of the tumah. Living in fear of threats is terrible, it's perhaps scarier than the actual threats, and I would argue, possibly more damaging. There's a lot of studies about fear and stress being damaging to the immune system. Your instinct about toom-ah shows how powerful you and your thoughts are. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jess. Our Nursing Fundamentals class watched your story this morning (we are covering death, dying and grieving at the moment). Your story touched me profoundly and I was compelled to find out if you were alive and well. I am glad to know that you and Dan still welcome each new day as a gift to cherish being alive and together. Thank you for sharing your story of love, positivity, and resilience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top